Hello!

If I revoke a certificate using the ca command and manually set the
invalidity date with the -crl_compromise option, the revocation reason
is automatically set to keyCompromise. If I try to override this
behaviour by setting -crl_compromise and -crl_reason (to something else,
like affiliationChanged), the invalidity date is simply ignored.

Is there some paritcular reason, why the ca command autmatically
implicates a compromised key when an invalidity date is set?
The corresponding RFC 5280 does not require this behaviour:
 "The invalidity date is a non-critical CRL entry extension that
  provides the date on which it is known or suspected that the private
  key was compromised or that the certificate otherwise became
invalid..." (from http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#section-5.3.2 )

regards
Mathias

P.S.: I tested the scenario above under openssl 1.0.0c and openssl-fips 1.2