1. Common Name part of subject name which is the value of Subject.
2. Subject *Alternative* Name which is an extension.

> If a subjectAltName extension of type dNSName is present, that MUST
> be used as the identity. Otherwise, the (most specific) Common Name
> field in the Subject field of the certificate MUST be used. Although
> the use of the Common Name is existing practice, it is deprecated and
> Certification Authorities are encouraged to use the dNSName instead.

As this says, although a bit tersely.

> I created Self-signed certificate  using open-ssl commands and my
> certificate chain looks like below where CN=10.204.4.69
>               openssl genrsa -des3 -out server.key 1024
>               openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
>               openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in server.csr
> -signkey server.key -out server.crt

> Please tell how to create certificate with "subjectAltName
> extension" using openssl commands ?

The same way(s) you create a cert with any extension(s).
See man req; man x509; man ca; man x509v3_config

In x509 -req supply -extfile with the name of a config file,
and -extsect with the name of a section in that file
unless it is default or pointed to by default.extensions,
specifying the extension(s) you want. You want something like
subjectAltName=DNS:my.host.example

For selfsigned you can save a step (or two) with req -x509 (and
-newkey) in which case use -extensions or req.x509_extensions .