Hello group,

I have a question regarding the verify method of OpenSSL: If I have a
certificate chain

Root -> A -> B -> Leaf

where "Leaf" is the certificate of a webserver (https) and Root is a
self-signed certificate.

In this scenario, is it valid for the webserver to provide only A/B/Leaf
and omit "Root" during the SSL handshake? I'm seeing strange errors and
noticed that a webserver of ours is configured in that manner (and it
seems odd to me).

Also, when I have certificates A + B and do:

$ openssl verify -CApath /sys -CAfile certA.crt certB.crt
certB.crt: /C=US/O=VeriSign, Inc./OU=VeriSign Trust Network/OU=(c) 2006
VeriSign, Inc. - For authorized use only/CN=VeriSign Class 3 Public
Primary Certification Authority - G5
error 2 at 1 depth lookup:unable to get issuer certificate

(I'm only using /sys to make openssl not pull in /etc/ssl/certs)

The verify fails. Why is that? The immediate signature is valid, does
the "verify" command expect to always terminate at a self-signed
certificate?

Or, in other words: Let's assume I have a ultimate root (self-signed)
"Root" and a branched CA "X". I would like to trust "X" and all it's
children, but not "Root". Is this not possible?

Best regards,
Johannes