Your problem is not verifying the message itself, but verifying
the certificate that assures it.

If you use -CAfile, you must put or have the CA root in
that file *in addition to* all other roots needed by other
apps using the same file, which for a default location like
(IIUC) /etc/ssl/cert.pem may be many other apps.

If you want a directory of individual root files, like
/etc/ssl/certs/*, use -CApath, add your CA root file in
that directory, and add a hash link to it: automatically
by running INSTALLDIR/bin/c_rehash or manually by:
ln -s $file `openssl x509 -hash -noout -in $file`.0