US/Arlington Heights)
>Sent: Thursday, 26 July, 2012 12:02

>I have created a self-signed CA certificate, a Client certificate and a
>Server certificate. I signed the Client and Server certificates with
>the self-signed CA certificate and placed all certs in the appropriate
>locations. Then attempted to create an SSL connection with
>'openssl s_client ..' ,  and get  this
>Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in certificate chain)

>Is this an error indicating that the SSL connection failed, or is it simply

>a "warning" ? I am guessing its just a warning, but wanted to confirm.

For s_client, it's a warning. s_client overrides verify errors and
allows you to continue. Most real apps don't do this and shouldn't,
so for real apps this will probably be fatal.

>... -cert client.crt -key client.key -CApath /root/CERT

Did you put your CA cert in /root/CERT >with a symlink from
$subjecthash.$seq,
or if you prefer directly under that name<? If not, OpenSSL won't find it.

Alternatively, use -CAfile with all your roots (perhaps only one) in a file.