We saw this earlier with another build product.

I think the 'ar' program in some of these "build" environments (oh all right IDEs) is just adding entries to an existing libcrypto.a. I suspect that the build environment extracts 'libcrypto.a' plus some other binaries out of some source control system. Over time such 'libraries' get a little large (is there an emoticon for irony?).

I suggest one of at least three options to remedy this:

EITHER
1. Removing the libcrypto.a file from the source control system altogether.

OR
2. Modifying the source control system so it knows to only check out source files (rather than binaries) prior to a build

OR
3. Adding "make clean" amd "rm Makefile" before running Configure in the build environment.

2 and 3 are preferable as there may be other files getting large as a result of the build adding object files to existing (that is checked out) binaries.

Good luck Dennis and others.

Jeremy Hunt