> Maybe I should add that I've verified that FIPS_mode is turned on right before
> my failing MD4 calls (think OpenSSLDie()), and I didn't do anything special
> to compile or turn on the MD4 algorithm.....could that be where I'm missing a
> step?

Ah yes, now I see that what I am trying to do is perhaps impossible:

"Other non-FIPS approved algorithms such a Blowfish, MD5, IDEA, RC4, etc. are
disabled in FIPS mode."

OK.  Here is where I'm coming from:
- I have a new version of a product that needs to use CMAC and CCM
- but it also has to support older versions of a protocol that call for things
like... MD4
- as far as I know, CMAC and CCM can only be used through validated fips code
(right?)...
- but if fips mode is turned on, MD4 is not available because it's not a
validated algorithm.

Steve, if you are there, do you have advice on what library I should have used
to achieve these requirements? Or if I am to toggle between fips and not fips
mode during run time?

I was under the impression that moving the new openssl library into my product
source would offer all of the old functionality I needed, as well as the new
fips functionality. Is this not true?