CMC_root.key.pem
<snip>
> writing C:/Users/Charles/Documents/CorreLog/Certificates/01.pem
> Data Base Updated
> <snip>
> openssl.exe s_server -accept 6514 -cert MYNOTEBOOK_server.pem -key
> MYNOTEBOOK_server.key.pem -state -debug
<snip>
> openssl.exe s_client -connect localhost:6514 -CAfile CMC_root.cert.pem
> -showcerts -prexit -no_ssl2 -cipher ALL:@STRENGTH  -state <
> OpenSSLclient_data.txt
>
> And it twice reports
>
>     Verify return code: 18 (self signed certificate)
>
> Why?
>
> If I display the certificate with -text I don't see
> "CMC_root" in there
> anywhere. How does the

I assume you mean display the "MYNOTEBOOK" (end-entity) cert with
x509 -text [-noout]. What does it show for Subject: and Issuer: ?
(Or more concisely, you can do x509 -subject -issuer -noout .)

Issuer in the EE cert must be the same as both names
(Subject AND Issuer) in the *CA* cert, and Subject
in the EE cert must be *different*. If it's not,
either you answered the prompts with duplicate values
when creating the CSR(s), or your config file(s) had
prompt=no and duplicate values.