Hello,

I'm trying to verify an email signature using openssl.

I've saved the complete mail to a file named mail.eml, then I'm using
openssl to verify:

openssl smime -inform SMIME -CAfile all.pem -verify -in mail.eml

which gives an error:

2674688:error:0D0680A8:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_CHECK_TLEN:wrong
tag:tasn_dec.c:1319:
2674688:error:0D07803A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_ITEM_EX_D2I:nested
asn1 error:tasn_dec.c:381:Type=X509_SIG
2674688:error:21071069:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_signatureVerify:signature
failure:pk7_doit.c:1120:
2674688:error:21075069:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_verify:signature
failure:pk7_smime.c:410:

Now I've also saved the base64 encoded signature only from the mime
part into a separate file named mail_sig.txt to analyse further:

openssl asn1parse -i -in mail_sig.txt

which runs ok (at least there is no error shown) and prints out a nice
tree, which at least to me does not show any errors (I'm a novice in
this...).

I'm using OpenSSL Version 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012

Any advice what may be wrong with the signature or how verify it in
openssl? If needed, I can upload the e-mail or complete asn1parse
output to pastebin or similar.

Thanks for any help,
 Georg

PS: I have to note that the complete story is longer: the email
signature verifies fine in MS Outlook, but not in Thunderbird, so I
tried to analyse this behavior and stumbled over the fact that openssl
also has troubles verifying it. And Thunderbird most probably uses
openssl libraries internally, so I've ended up here.