OpenSSL normally builds to two libraries -- libssl.* and
libcrypto.* on Unix, ssleay32.* and libeay32.* on Windows.
Your application needs to link both, and depending on the
linker it may need to link them in that order (I'm not sure
about the MS linker, or linkers, in this regard).

But this shouldn't be different in 1.0.1 or even 1.0.0 --
it's been this way for years. Possibly your "1.0.0e"
wasn't a standard build but a modified one that combined
into a single library?