On Fri, Sep 14, 2012, TJ wrote:

> On 7 September 2012 23:54, Steve Marquess
> <marqu...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
> > On 09/07/2012 12:24 AM, TJ wrote:
> >> I'm doing a cross platform FIPS build (FIPSv2.0.1 with OpenSSL 1.01c).
> >>
> >> ./Configure no-asm no-hw linux-generic32
> >> make -j1 -C openssl-fips
> >
> > Might as well stop right there as the resulting FIPS module isn't FIPS
> > 140-2 validated. There is no point in using the FIPS module if you can't
> > claim, and don't require, validation; it has no inherent performance or
> > security advantages over regular OpenSSL (in fact it is technically
> > *inferior* in both respects).
> >

> Actually, we do require validation, which is why I was trying to use
> the FIPS module, but there are other components we need to operate
> inside the logical cryptographic boundary so a separate validation
> will be required anyway, This obviously means it doesn?t really matter
> if I build the FIPS module in a non-compliant way.
> I removed it anyway and got OpenSSL v1.0.1c to build and run, but now
> the self tests (which are required for validation) don't run. Are
> these self test available as a function call in base OpenSSL without
> the FIPS component? If so, how? If not, what should I do now?; reload
> the FIPS module and try to get it to build for my platform, or what?

The self tests are only part of the FIPS module.

A native build needs to execute some of the targets on the host system to
embed signatures, if you can't do that then you need to set the FIPS_SIG
environment variable to point to an appropriate script which will perform the
signature calculation. The "incore" script under the util directory is
normally used for that purpose: so try setting FIPS_SIG to point to it.

Steve.