If this was play data as said it shouldn't hurt, but I'm
not sure it's a true solution since I didn't see anything
wrong in the data you showed in your previous message (to
which I was working on a reply when you sent this update).

> I understand that I have lost the ability to revoke any previous
> certificates.

To be exact, not entirely. If you put a higher value like 20
in serial.txt and thus use distinct serial values going forward,
you could manually reinsert a "forgotten" old entry back into the
"database", which is enough to revoke it with 'ca' (or 'ocsp').
Even if you reuse serials, you could revoke the serial for an old
cert at the cost of also revoking some new(er) cert, which you
would presumably then replace. Real CAs replace certs sometimes,
for a variety of reasons, so that's not crazy but is extra work.

But for play data no one should really rely on these certs anyway
so there's no risk in leaving them "valid". I assume you are doing
this for testing, so just test with the new ones and discard the old.
Also, what did you use for 'days' (validity period)? If it's short,
once your old certs expire their revocation status doesn't matter.

> I won't edit index.txt again.

If you editted, as opposed to just deleting as mentioned before,
it's possible you messed something up in the file. If the problem
doesn't recur, I'd accept that as a not-impossible explanation
(cf Sherlock Holmes). But I suggest keeping track of what you do,
so if the problem does recur you can post a complete scenario
for us (maybe but not necessarily me) to look at.

> Charles

<snip most as superceded, but one point I wanted to keep:>

> Hmmm. It's working so I don't think I'll touch it. I know it
> took a lot of
> hacking to get it to work. Again, may I repeat my plea for
> documentation?
> Why do open source projects attract plenty of coders but not
> tech writers?
> Aren't there tech writers who would love to make a
> contribution to open
> source?

Yes, documentation is a problem for lots of open-source,
and openssl is unfortunately quite typical in this area.
But until people volunteer, or somebody pays, that's life.
I think this list does help some -- and to a point I snipped,
your questions WEREN'T dumb or inappropriate in my opinion,
and certainly no one else raised any objection.

Cheers.