I have successfully generated SSL client certs (generated with openssl
1.0.1c) used by Safari, Firefox, and Chrome on Linux and Windows plus
IE 9 on Windows, but I cannot get successful access with either Safari
or Firefox on Mac OS X.

When I try on Mac/Safari I get the error:

  The server did not accept the certificate. (NSURLErrorDomain:-1205)

When I try on Mac/Firefox I get the error:

  SSL peer has rejected your certificate as expired.

  (Error code: ssl_error_expired_cert_alert)

When I view the cert on the Mac it clearly shows an expiration date
approximately one year from now.

Note that I have also added an identity preference in the Mac Key
Chain for the cert for the desired site.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

-Tom