it.

I think you mixed up two or maybe three things here,
and you meant "policy" not "priority".

Generating a CSR with req -new -subj works if the config file
has prompt specified or defaulted yes. I tested that. You can
generate a CSR with only CommonName by either -subj, prompted,
or unprompted. I (now) tested all of those. The distro config
file prompts all and defaults some DN fields, so you must enter
dots to get CN only. OTOH you can specify more than CN with -subj.

*Issuing* a cert using 'ca' from a CSR containing only CommonName,
however the CSR was created, is a different issue. *That* depends
on the policy in the config file, and distro policy_match won't
allow it. You can either edit config or use -policy sect.

You can override the subject in the CSR with ca -subj, but policy
still applies. If you specify -subj with only CN it will work
only if the configured policy or -policy sect allows that --
and in that case, CSR with only CN works just as well.

<snip previous>