On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm> wrote:
> What I'm after is the difference between the given date and now so that I can
> construct a max-age value for Cache-Control. At this stage, there doesn't
> seem to be a way to do this in openssl.
>
> Regards,
> Graham
> --
Why does it need to be something in openssl?

I don't know openssl well enough to know if it has this capability,
but my first instinct would be to use something I know well, such as
one of the Boost libraries that seems relevant.  That strikes me as
much easier and simpler than delving into the bowels of a library I am
using (I almost never look at the boost code, I just use the
libraries).  Thus, if you're using C++, why not use the relevant boost
library?
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_51_0/doc/html/date_time/posix_time.html

One of the countless things it lets you do is compute the difference
between two timestamps.

Cheers

Ted