Just discovered the culprit. I had configured the server using
TLSv1_server_method(), going from
<http://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_CTX_new.html> and assuming TLSv1
encompasses v1.{1,2}. Stumbled on this by chance by experimenting with
forcing TLSv1.2 (of which the desired cipher suite is a part) and
getting output about an incorrect version. Tried out
SSLv23_server_method() and it worked, then (assuming the correct id by
extrapolation) TLSv1_2_server_method() and everything works great.
Some doc updates here would probably be welcome to the next guy.