At a guess, you're not linking against libcrypto.a. If you are linking against
libcrypto.a, then some versions of some linkers on some OSes are fussy about
the order of libraries in the link command, and you'd need to make sure that
libcrypto.a is listed after libssl.a.

If neither of those do it, then provide some basic information - what OS are
you building on, what compiler and linker are you using, and what exactly is
the linker command line you are running?