<snip>

> I have not really been following this thread, so please forgive my
> dumb questions.
>
> Are you using a NIST curve? If I recall correctly, OpenSSL only
> supports some (all?) NIST curves. If you are trying to use Bernstein's
> Curve-25519 (or an arbitrary curve), I don't believe it will work.

OP's code in some places uses secp224r1 and in some places sect163k1.
It's not clear which (if either?) is correct. IIRC both of these are
in the NIST subset, but just SECG is enough to be standard.

libcrypto EC_*, and thus EVP_*, supports both named/standard curves
and "explicit" ones. I believe that includes cert verification
as relevant to SSL/TLS, but haven't tested.

libssl *for key exchange* only supports named curves.

> How did you generate the private key (the exponent) and public key
> (point on the curve)?

OP apparently didn't generate any key, he's trying to use
key values he got from someplace that appear bogus.

Nit: the primitive operation in ECC is called addition and
the iterated form multiplication, so the privatekey value is
called a multiplicand. Unlike RSA and DH, where multiplication
in Z_n is iterated to give exponentiation.