On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Ben Laurie <b...@links.org> wrote:
> On 19 January 2013 16:31, Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> BTW, commit a6bbbf2ff5580addb917a8b4f1160f90af91d268, when I push it,
>>> fixes this to use clang instead of makdepend (in master, I may update
>>> other branches, too).
>> Thanks Ben.
>>
>> Let me know if you would like me to test it on modern Mac OS X,
>> including iOS cross compile environment before you commit.
>
> I didn't make the corresponding change for cross compiles since I
> don't do those, though it should be trivial, I guess - do they also
> use cc?
>
>> My eventual desire is to have configure targets for iphoneos,
>> iphonesimulator, and macosx that use SYSROOT. The darwin targets will
>> not be touched.
>>
>> I can then package the libraries, the headers and their tools (incore)
>> into a Framework, and stop fighting Xcode and its Build Settings
>> (including the cursed User Paths and System Paths). Its not so much me
>> - its more for the organizations I work with.
Well, I set CROSS_CHAIN and CROSS_COMPILE to
/Applications/Xcode/Developer.../<Platform>/SDKs/..../usr/bin. I
believe that means llvm-gcc. I don't explicitly set CC in the scripts
(the scripts are based on Tim's original work).

The <Plaform> above can be MacOSX, iPhoneOS, or iPhoneSimulator.

I also put CROSS_COMPILE on path as the first entry.

When I set CROSS_COMPILE, `MAKEDEPEND=makedepend` breaks. To fix it, I
open the Makefile and change it to `MAKEDEPEND=$(CC) -M`. Note: the
fix is need for FIPS Capable, but not needed for FIPS Object Module.

So I don't believe I am using CC by default, but I use CC to fix the
problem when I encounter it. I'm not sure what CC evaluates to. I will
check it the next time I have Xcode open.

if you are not adverse to a small change if needed, check it in and I
will go through a FIPS Object Module and FIPS Capable Library build.
I'll report back if there are problems.

Jeff