On 02/01/2013 03:19 AM, Santhosh Kokala wrote:
> Linking the FIPS capable libraries to our code is proving to be a real pain
> in the butt. ...
> 2) Does fipsld have to be used or could I, within the spirit of the security
> policy, make my own fipsld of sorts that compiles fipspre_main.c with gcc
> and links with g++?

There is no absolute mandate to using the original fipsld script for
linking the application executable (as opposed to the creation of
fipscanister.o where no creativity is tolerated). Just be sure you
maintain the "chain of trust" by verifying the intermediate digests as
discussed in the Security Policy and User Guide (in essence that amounts
to checking the *.sha1 digests for fipscanister.o and fips_premain.o).

> 3) Am I better off compiling the FIPS capable libraries as shared and
> re-working our code to work with those?

In general, yes. You've already encountered the arguments for doing so.

Note that most FIPS 140-2 validated software products don't support
static linking, but here you're still better off in almost every
circumstance doing that static link one time to a shared library
(libcrypto) and then subsequently referencing that shared library from
your applications.

Omitting openssl-dev as you cross-posted. This was a user list question.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.