Interesting...

Does this necessarily implicitly implies that the Rijndael cipher was
selected as the AES "winner" because it was also "simple" enough to be
fast, while meeting the security and protection requirements when they
initiated the open call for proposals?

I didn't realize that the AES and also modern processors were so fast
already. I always thought that AES was going to be a fairly slow and
compute-intensive process; and so that's why I was trying to make sure
that the AES-NI was working. Turns out, I might not even need it. #FML

(And I'm pretty sure that some of you guys were probably telling me
that, but I didn't realize it then. Now I see the light.)