From: Steve Marquess [mailto:marqu...@opensslfoundation.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:02 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Cc: Porter, Andrew
Subject: Re: Troubles building FIPS-enabled OpenSSL on s390x

On 03/27/2013 03:26 PM, Porter, Andrew wrote:
> After successfully building the combination of openssl-fips-2.0.2 and
> openssl-1.0.1e on Intel Linux I am trying to do the same on mainframe
> Linux, 64-bit SuSE 10.2 in my case.
>
> When I unpack openssl-fips-2.0.2 and do "./config; make" it fails with
>
> *** No rule to make target `s390xcap.o', needed by `fips'.
>
> So I found a copy of s390xcap.c after unpacking the openssl-1.0.1e
> tarball and copied it to the FIPS crypto directory and was then able
> to make and install.
>
> Question: was that the correct action to take?

That's fine for informal testing purposes but you can't use the result as a
validated module. You've got two strikes against you there; you can't modify
the original source distribution at all, and the processor isn't represented
among the formally tested platforms.

As far as I know you're the first to try building the 2.0 FIPS module for
mainframe Linux (a platform we don't have ready access to) so your result isn't
surprising.

That platform could be formally added to the validation (via a "change letter"
mod), but that takes time and money.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess