> Is there a way with openssl to create a key/csr with SN attribute?

> As I can see, only CN, O, OU etc are available. If not with openssl, does
> anyone know another tool to create this with?

You can do it.  The 'trick' is that you have to have a default value, so put
"SN=unknown" in the global section of your config file.  Then in the "[dn_req]"
for your request, you can do something like "SN=$ENV::SN" to get it from the
$SN environment variable.

There's lots of flexibility in the openssl config file; many levels of
indirection, etc., possible with variables and $ENV constructs.

Hope this helps.

        /r$

--
Principal Security Engineer