I'm wondering why the FIPS_selftest_dsa() function in fips_dsa_selftest.c uses
EVP_sha384 with a 2048-bit DSA key during the fips_pkey_signature_test()?

If I'm reading the NIST standards (FIPS 186-3 and SP 800-57 Part 1) correctly,
it looks like it is more usual for 2048-bit DSA keys to be paired with SHA 224
or SHA 256 during digital signature operations.

As far as I can tell there is no prohibition against using SHA 384 (or SHA 512)
with 2048-bit DSA keys, but FIPS 186-3 states that differing relative strengths
of keys and hashes should only be used if "an agreement has been made between
participating entities to use a stronger hash function."

Thanks.