Jakob Bohm gave a complete answer a few hours after your original question, see
http://openssl.6102.n7.nabble.com/Question-regarding-openssl-program-to-compute-the-hashes-and-finger-prints-tt45095.html#none

From: Khadija Amin (khamin) [mailto:kha...@cisco.com]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 9:42 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: Question regarding openssl program to compute the hashes and
finger-prints.

Re-trying..

From: Microsoft Office User <HYPERLINK
"mailto:kha...@cisco.com"kha...@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 23:34:56 -0700
To: <HYPERLINK "mailto:openssl-users@openssl.org"openssl-users@openssl.org>
finger-prints.

Hello All ,

I have a question regarding c_rehash utility used to  create symbolic links to
files named by the hash values.

I understand that c_rehash calls openssl to compute the hash by invoking the
following command :

$OPENSSL x509 -hash -fingerprint -noout -in $file

What I noticed, recent openssl versions(1.0) are producing hash that is
different from the earlier openssl versions (0.9.8u). Has the hash algorithm
that the above command uses has changed ? (for e.g : from md5 to sha1??). Is it
possible to specify the hash algorithm explictly in the above command so that I
can have both versions of openssl create the same .0 file ?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated as this is affecting back compatibility of
my application.

Thank you.

Khadija