I've implemented DANE support for Postfix, but want to make the
implementation a bit more robust in the face of possible future
changes in OpenSSL.

I want to use SSL_CTX_set_cert_verify_callback() to how certificate
verification is performed.  I need to be able to selectively
add/remove from the set of "untrusted" additional certificates in
X509_STORE_CTX.  Unfortunately, while:

        X509_STORE_CTX_set_chain()

sets ctx->untrusted, the similarly named:

        X509_STORE_CTX_get_chain()

returns ctx->chain, which is already populated and useful during
the simpler one cert at a time verification callback, but is always
empty at the start of the cert_verify_callback().

I could simply bypass the API and directly manipulate ctx->untrusted,
but I am reluctant to do that.  Should I go ahead and do that?

Will there perhaps be a library feature that exposes the chain
elements to the cert_verify_callback?

--
        Viktor.