On 6/14/13 2:47 PM, Matt Caswell wrote:
On 14 June 2013 20:12, Steve Tarzia <st...@stevetarzia.com> wrote:
I am having some trouble finding documentation or examples showing how to
perform Elliptic Curve crypto operations using the openssl command line
tool.  Is possible to perform EC encryption and decryption using the openssl
command line tool?

In "man pkeyutl" for version 1.0.1e I see the text "The EC algorithm
supports sign, verify and derive operations."  So, I suspect that command
line encryption with EC is not supported, but I just wanted to comfirm that
before digging into libcrypto to get that functionality.

I would appreciate any help you all can pass on.
The only openssl supported EC algorithms are ECDSA (for sign/verify)
and ECDH (for key agreement). That applies to both the ec command line
tool and libcrypto, so you're out of luck I'm afraid.

Matt

Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least you saved me some time. Thanks Matt!
-Steve