FYI -

RAND_bytes(buf, bytes) receives  correct parameters as bytes=256 for SHA256.

int RAND_bytes(unsigned char *buf, int num)
{
const RAND_METHOD *meth = RAND_get_rand_method();
if (meth && meth->bytes)
{
Print(L"   control is here\n");/////<---controll is here
return meth->bytes(buf,num);
}
Print(L"   RAND_bytes fails\n");

return(-1);