In:

    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2013-09/0003.html

Peer Heinlein reports that some Exim SMTP clients fail to establish
a TLS session with Postfix SMTP servers because Exim enforces a
minimum prime size of 2048-bits for MODP EDH.  My reply in:

    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2013-09/0015.html

boils down the behaviour of SSL_CTX_set_tmp_dh_callback(3) which
invokes the application callback with one of two keylengths:

    #define SSL_EXPORT_PKEYLENGTH(a) (SSL_IS_EXPORT40(a) ? 512 : 1024)

a 1024-bit prime.

- Is it reasonable for clients to expect stronger EDH groups?

- Is there is any API support in OpenSSL for servers to provide a
  suitable range of parameters, perhaps tied to the negotiated symmetric
  algorithm key size?  (With anonymous cipher-suites there is no public
  key on which to base the EDH parameter choice).

Given the high computational cost of prime EDH, my guess is that
it does not make much sense to go beyond 1024-bits, and that EECDH
is by far the better choice for greater security.

Incidentally, I just noticed the undocumented
SSL_CTX_set_tmp_ecdh_callback(), which has the same interface as
SSL_CTX_set_tmp_dh_callback(3) and it seems is also called with
keylength equal to either 512 or 1024.  What is the meaning of
the keylength in this context?

I have been using the equally undocumented SSL_CTX_set_tmp_ecdh(),
which just sets a fixed curve for all EECDH cipher-suites.  Is there
any disadvantage to this approach?

It would be nice to have more documentation for the EC side of the
interface.

--
        Viktor.