> From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-
> us...@openssl.org] On Behalf Of Walter H.
<snip>
> The server is capable of ciphers DHE-* and others;
> the list is quite longer than the avaiable ciphers of the client ...,
>   so I think this is quite strange ...
>
> openssl ciphers -V
>
> shows e.g.  ECDHE-ECDSA-DES-CBC3-SHA
> the site https://cc.dcsec.uni-hannover.de/ shows this:
> ECDHE-ECDSA-3DES-EDE-SHA
>
> are these the same cipher suites but two confusing names?

Yes. 3DES, 3DES*EDE, DES*EDE, DES*EDE*3, DES*3 and TDES are all
the same algorithm (whose rarely-used official name is TDEA).

'EDE' is superfluous now; back in the nineties when (what is
now) TDES was being developed there was some discussion
whether to use all 'forward' primitives (EEE) or a mix (EDE).
EDE was selected and has long been the only one used.

The TLS RFCs use _3DES_EDE_CBC_, originally named during
the time it was worthwhile to say EDE, and since retained for
compatibility and consistency. I believe SSL 3 spec did also.
OpenSSL for some reason, way back when, used -DES-CBC3-,
and now needs to keep that for compatibility, except on the
(much newer and disjoint) PSK and SRP suites.

Leaving out 'CBC' for block ciphers, as that website does
(for all not just TDES), seemed reasonable before TLSv1.2.
Now it's inconsistent and could be confusing.