If you don't know what FIPS 186-4 is then ignore this and count yourself
lucky.

I'm getting a lot of private queries about this issue and so want to put
this statement in a public forum for reference.

Effective Jan 1 some new FIPS 140-2 validation requirements were
introduced. As is usually the case these requirements apply
retroactively to existing validations such as certificate #1747, the
OpenSSL FIPS Object Module 2.0.

A consequence of one of those requirements is a new format for the RSA
algorithm testing, per FIPS 186-4. As currently written the 2.0 module
cannot handle that new algorithm test (FIPS 186-4 didn't exist at the
time that code was written, and we concluded that implementation of the
then extant FIPS 186-3 wasn't feasible).

The new algorithm test could be accommodated with a minor code tweak,
but FIPS 140-2 imposes severe restrictions on the modification of
validated modules. We do not know yet what modifications will be
permitted without retesting of all 80 platforms, an economic and
practical impossibility. After several weeks our test lab is still
researching our very specific questions on what options, if any, remain
for the addition of new platforms to the #1747 validation.

That validation has been widely used as the basis of "private label"
validations where the 2.0 module source code is used to obtain another
validation under a different name and certificate number. All of those
private label validations are similarly affected, and I'm now hearing
from many of those vendors. We are also currently impacted as we have
seven new platforms in our test lab ready for testing (and more on the
way); that work is on hold.

I'll post another message when we know how this story turns out.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.