On 8 Apr 2014, at 7:14 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
> Team, I am having a discussions with a few friends about why this OpenSSL
> vuln (CVE 2014-0160) does not affect SSH. This may be TOO basic for many of
> you (apologize in advance), but can't think of any other way to prove my
> point other than speaking to the folks who really know (that's u). Or maybe I
> am the one wrong, wouldn't be the first time ;).
>
> A quick response to my frieds could be simply diffing the files for the
> actual OpenSSL change, e.g. ssl/d1_both.c and ssl/t1_lib.c, but I want a more
> classy answer.
>
> Is the below ok or am I completely off?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> SSH and SSL/TLS are simply different protocols (doh). They may share some
> similar underlying crypto implementations, but as of their respective RFCs,
> they are just different protocols. The TLS Heartbeat TLS extension would not
> apply to SSH. SSH "may" have its own way to keep alive, but that would be a
> different one.
>
> Chris.

This is correct as I understand it. ssh uses openssl mostly for crypto
operations, but the ssh protocol does not have anything in common with ssl/tls
(other than some fairly general design aspects). The heartbeat bug is
particular to the openssl implementation of the heartbeat feature in tls, and
that code isn't used by openssh.