On 04/11/2014 23:50, Kyle Hamilton <aerow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Teach me to ask a question without reading the entire thread.
>
> At what point would the break-even cost make sense to form a
> non-profit entity?
>
> -Kyle H

It costs $500-$750 to file for tax-exempt status (501c3); then you
have to file a return every year.  There's no filing fee, but you do
have to have someone willing to do it, or you have to pay an
accountant.  There might be a cost for submitting 1099-MISC for
programmers that receive more than $600 of non-employee income in a
calendar year; once you start being official, you have to follow all
the rules.

I'm not a tax lawyer, and I don't know where OpenSSL is incorporated;
I suppose there's a possibility that it should be filing a business
tax return, and paying some taxes.  In that case, being tax-exempt
would be important for OpenSSL.  As it stands, I think the benefit
would be to the donors, who could then deduct the amount from their
personal income taxes.  The value of this depends, obviously, on how
much they give and what tax bracket they're in.  If you save $5 on
your $100 donation, are you going to give $105?  That covers the $3.20
in PayPal fees, but not much more.

The other benefit to OpenSSL would be eligibility for various grants
and matching gift programs, many of which are restricted to registered
non-profits.  I don't know if there are any such grants that would
consider OpenSSL.