I agree with Walter, that it is not exactly good practise to have a CA key
lying around on multiple servers. But anyway, if you need to do it you have to
create the random serial number externally by some script and write it into
the serial file (as set in the openssl configuration file used) prior to
issuing the "openssl ca" command.

As a workaround if you do not want do do this, you could set different serial
number ranges on the various servers. Server1 starts at serial 1, Server2 at
0x010000 and so on. You'd still have incrementally growing serial numbers
(which is actually bad by itself) but from distinct ranges.

cheers
Mat