From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org
[mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org] On Behalf Of Viktor Dukhovni
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2014 7:39 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: cannot read PEM key file - no start line

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 04:31:13AM -0400, Dave Thompson wrote:

> *If* you are now using a legacy-format encrypted private-key (and your
> original
>
> error message suggested you might need some form of private key, which
> does
>
> necessarily mean legacy-format encrypted) yes 76 chars is a problem.

That said, it seems more likely that the real issue is that client code
should be attempting to employ a client certificate file.
The OP provided a file with no client private key (there is none), and the
software complains since no private key of any kind is found.

The client key file should be initialized to NULL.  Separately the client
may need to specify trust anchors so that server validation succeeds.

However, when it comes to X.509 PKI, the OP may be "in a maze of twisty
little passages, all alike".  I don't know how to bridge the gulf.  Some
sort of tutorial may be the a start.  Any recommendations of a gentle
introduction to X.509 certificates, keys, trust anchors, ... for operators
and developers?

--
        Viktor.

---