On 03/09/2015 18:16, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 04:06:06PM +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 08:21:25AM -0700, tmcclure0501 wrote:

We have an embedded MQTT framework that we want to configure for mutual
authentication.  The framework is complaining that it needs a key format of
PKCS#1.  We have p12 and pem formats of the key.  Does openssl support
converting keys to the PKCS#1, if so what is the command?
I've never heard of a PKCS#1 key format, I'm only aware of

     PKCS#8     - Private key
     PKCS#12    - Private key and related certificates

Consult the documentation for the product, this is not an OpenSSL
question until at least the desired key format is known.
Perhaps what you're looking for is the legacy RSA key format (PEM
or DER encoded).

        -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
        -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

The "openssl rsa" command (unlike the "pkey" command) outputs RSA
keys in either DER or PEM formats.

So to summarize:

First use the command "openssl pkcs12" and a text
editor to split the p12 file into individual
certificate and encrypted private key files.

Then use the "openssl rsa" command to convert the
encrypted private key files from PKCS#8 format to
"old-openssl/PKCS#1" format.

Enjoy

Jakob
--