Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 08/11/2017 02:47 PM, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I would want the 'openssl req' command to prompt for hwType and
>>> hsSerialNum.  At least for now.
>>>
>> Note that you can't get the 'openssl req' command prompt for this but you can
>> generate the extension in an appropriate syntax: see my other message for
>> details.
>>
>> You could prompt externally and pass the values as environment variables to
>> openssl req of constuct the whole config file on the fly.
>
> Sigh.
>
> Making some headway.  Figured out you cannot have an alternative [ req ]
> section in the
> config; no way to specify it.  Thus a completely separate config_8021AR to
> specify a
> different distinguishedname set of fields.  Got that, now to get started on
> SAN.  Will
> read your previous message.

Maybe you should look at the following CLI options for "openssl req":

 -subj arg      set or modify request subject
[..]
 -extensions .. specify certificate extension section (override value in config
file)
 -reqexts ..    specify request extension section (override value in config
file)

Ciao, Michael.