De : openssl-users [mailto:openssl-users-boun...@openssl.org] De la part de
Thomas J. Hruska
Envoyé : dimanche 8 octobre 2017 22:56
À : openssl-users@openssl.org
Objet : Re: [openssl-users] Graceful shutdown of TLS connection for blocking
sockets

On 10/8/2017 7:28 AM, Michel wrote:
> While I understand that using non-blocking descriptors is a better
> practice, I still do not see why select() should NEVER be used for
> blocking sockets (except when combined/interfered with the internal
> OpenSSL state machine or equivalent mechanism).
>
> Could you please elaborate or give an example ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michel.

Example:  You call select(), it returns the descriptor as readable, you pass
it into SSL_read(), and SSL_read() blocks.  You are worse off than before
you used select() since you made the incorrect assumption that you could do
something when select() returns and not have a blocking socket block.

Just because select() says that something is readable (or writable) does not
actually make it so.  The function only makes sense for non-blocking
descriptors.  The use of select() with a blocking descriptor is always
wrong.

Non-blocking code is actually easier to implement than you think.

--
Thomas Hruska
Shining Light Productions

Home of BMP2AVI and Win32 OpenSSL.