On 02/20/2018 06:34 PM, J Decker <d3c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes that is true.... however here's the scenario.
> Client does a verification and passes or fails, and via the SSL layer I can
> query if the client validated the certificate.
> If it failed, provide a option for the client to get a renewed certificate
> for verification.  If success, no action.
> If an actor lies in this scenario he answers
> lies *yes* and didn't, don't give him a means to actually verify. *noop*
> lies *no* but did, then give him the root cert he already has.... *noop*
>
> so I don't have to trust the reply.... I'm willing to give him the right
> root.

That's nice from the server's POV, but the client REALLY REALLY SHOULD
NOT install and/or put trust into any CA certs it received in-band in a
connection that failed verification. The best (for you) it can do is to
store it and offer it to its user for additional verification and *then*
installation - and I'ld venture a guess that you'ld have to write such a
client yourself.

(And offering the *root* certificate isn't that far from the common
practice of a server sending *most* of its CA chain in addition to its
own certificate, anyway, so it's debatable whether you even *need* the
result of the client's verification as an input to send the root as well.)

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur