This is really weird. The OPENSSLDIR as in the Makefile should be
applied during the build. If you do strings <path-to-libcrypto.so> does
it show the ssl-3? Is it possible that you have some other build of
openssl-3.0 with incorrect (default) OPENSSLDIR lying on the system
somewhere?

Please open an GitHub issue so we can investigate this further.

Tomas Mraz

--
Tomáš Mráz
                                              Turkish proverb