On 07/11/2013 03:12 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:

> On 07/11/2013 02:40 PM, David Ripton wrote:
>> OpenStack is currently divided.  Older projects like Nova use
>> sqlalchemy-migrate.  Some newer projects like Neutron use alembic.
>>
>> I'd personally like to see everything in Alembic, but migrating all the
>> Nova scripts in a way that didn't break compatibility will be a big
>> challenge.  It's easier for projects with less to port.
>>
>> Another option is to take over maintaining sqlalchemy-migrate and bend
>> it to our needs.  (It's mostly okay, but the big issue for me is its use
>> of strictly incrementing integer sequence numbers.  That both causes
>> problems when competing patches in review race for the same filename,
>> and when we try to backport some but not all migration scripts to a
>> stable branch.)  We already apply some patches to upstream, so having a
>> friendly maintainer who would apply patches that OpenStack needs would
>> be helpful.
>>
>> This will be a topic at the DB meeting today at 1900 UTC (about 20
>> minutes from when I send this email).  So please attend if it's
>> important to you.
>>

>> On 07/11/2013 02:18 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>
>>> Discussing with Jan Dittberner, who is upstream for sqlalchemy-migrate,
>>> it appears that he doesn't have time to maintain it.
>>>
>>> Is the OpenStack project willing to take over? Jan is ok to hand over
>>> everything, moving to Github, give access to Pypi, etc. Below is his
>>> reply to me when I asked him.
>
> Hi - We discussed this in the db meeting and decided that as much as
> we're not thrilled with sqlalchemy-migrate (I believe boris-42 summed it
> up as "bad bad bad very bad things") we've got a pretty strong
> dependency on it right now and for the next while.
>
> SO - let's work on getting it moved into our systems and then we at
> least have the ability to patch/release if needed.

We've got the upstream pypi and rtfd credentials now, the project should
be moved in to openstack systems soon enough. I also went through and
cleaned up build and test stuff work work like our stuff works (if we're
going to be maintaining it, we might as well, you know, do it how we do
things)

This brings us to the most important question:

Who wants to be on the core team?