On 08/27/2013 10:53 AM, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:
> That's IMO a different story: backporting a driver is usually quite
> trivial as it affects only one service (nova-compute) and one
> interaction point with Nova (the driver's interface). Between Havana and
> Grizzly for example, the entire Hyper-V driver can be backported without
> substantial issues. On the deployment side, we have to care only about
> updating the code which runs con the compute nodes, using vanilla
> OpenStack components on the controller and remaining nodes.
>
> Backporting the public APIs is a whole different story, it affects way
> more components that need to be deployed (nova-api as a minimum of
> course), with way more interaction points that might incur into patching
> hell.

Do you really know that?  This is pretty hand wavy.  I think you're
making this backport out to be _way_ more complicated than it is.  I
don't see why it's any more complicated than a virt driver feature backport.

> What about publishing the API as blacklisted by default? This way it
> would be available only to users that enable it explicitly, while still
> supporting the scenario described above.

It still makes no sense to me to merge an API for a feature that can't
be used.

--
Russell Bryant