On 11/09/2013 19:05, Dolph Mathews wrote:

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM, David Chadwick
<d.w.chadw...@kent.ac.uk <mailto:d.w.chadw...@kent.ac.uk>> wrote:

    Further supplementary information to Adam's email below, is that
    there are already one further federation protocol profiles that has
    been published:
    for an external Keystone acting as an IdP at
    https://review.openstack.org/#__/c/42107/
    <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/42107/>

    and another for SAML has been prepared and is ready for publication.

    I would expect several additional federation profiles to be
    published in the future, for example, for OpenID Connect and what
    ever else might be just around the corner.

    Given the fact that the number of federation protocols is not fixed,
    and will evolve with time, then I would prefer their method of
    integration into Keystone to be common, so that one "federation"
    module can handle all the non-protocol specific federation features,
    such as policy and trust checking, and this module can have multiple
    different protocol handling modules plugged into it that deal with
    the protocol specific features only. This is the method we have
    adopted in our current implementation of federation, and have shown
    that it is a viable and efficient way of implementation as we
    currently support three protocol profiles (SAML, ABFAB and External
    Keystone).

    Thus I prefer

    "method": "federation" "protocol": "abfab"

    in which the abfab part would be replaced by the particular
    protocol, and there are common parameters to be used by the
    federation module

    instead of "method": "abfab"

    as the latter removes the common parameters from federation, and
    also means that common code wont be used, unless it is cut and paste
    into each protocol specific module.

That sounds like a pretty strong argument in favor of the current
design, assuming the "abfab" parameters are children of the common
"federation" parameters (rather than a sibling of the "federation"
parameters)... which does appear to be the case the current patchset-
https://review.openstack.org/#__/c/42221/
<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/42221/>

this would require protocol_data to become a child of the other three parameters, which can easily be done. The protocol_data is an array of any parameters that the protocol specific code wants to put in there. The protocol specific profile document specifies what these are.

regards

David

    Comments?

    David