Hey all!

Currently, nodepool does not work against the two TripleO clouds (well,
I'm trying against the grizzly POC cloud first) So far, the problems
have been combinations of bugs/assumptions in nodepool, along with at
least one actual config issue in the TripleO cloud.

I thought I'd share info on how to spin up a nodepool pointed at a
cloud, so that if you want to play along, you can.

# do this in a virtualenv if you care about stuff

Step one - clone, apply patches and install nodepool:

cd ~/src
git clone git://git.openstack.org/openstack-infra/config
git clone git://git.openstack.org/openstack-infra/nodepool
cd nodepool
git review -x 49833
git review -x 49639
git review -x 51465
pip install -U -r requirements.txt
pip install -e .

Step two - make a MySQL user and database for nodepool:

mysql -u root

mysql> create database nodepool;
mysql> GRANT ALL ON nodepool.* TO 'nodepool'@'localhost';
mysql> flush privileges;

Step three - make a nodepool.yaml file (I'm using shell variable syntax
for things you should replace with real values

script-dir:
$HOME/src/config/modules/openstack_project/files/nodepool/scripts
dburi: 'mysql://nodepool@localhost/nodepool'

cron:
  cleanup: '*/5 * * * *'
  check: '*/15 * * * *'
  update-image: '14 2 * * *'

zmq-publishers:
  - tcp://localhost:8888

providers:
  - name: tripleo-test-cloud
    service-type: 'compute'
    service-name: 'nova'
    username: '$OS_USERNAME'
    password: '$OS_PASSWORD'
    project-id: '$OS_PROJECT_ID'
    auth-url: '$CLOUD_ENDPOINT'
    boot-timeout: 120
    max-servers: 2
    images:
      - name: tripleo-precise
        base-image: 'Ubuntu Precise 12.04 LTS Server 64-bit'
        min-ram: 8192
        setup: prepare_node_tripleo.sh
        username: jenkins
        private-key: $HOME/.ssh/id_rsa

targets:
  - name: fake-jenkins
    jenkins:
      url: https://localhost
      user: fake
      apikey: fake
    images:
      - name: tripleo-precise
        min-ready: 2
        providers:
          - name: tripleo-test-cloud

Step 4 - in a different shell, start nodepool

nodepoold -d -c $HOME/src/nodepool/nodepool.yaml

voila! you're now running a nodepool against a cloud.

Monty