On 10/19/2013 11:50 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2013-10-19 23:29:28 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Though the Debian FTP masters seems to insist on having correct
>> copyright holders in debian/copyright, and I am a bit lost after the 2
>> rejects I just had.
>
> Well, this is still a fuzzy topic. We have a lot of contributions
> and know who the authors are, but not necessarily who the copyright
> holders were on behalf of whom they might have contributed various
> changes (only that the copyright holders authorized them to
> contribute this work under a specific license, because the authors
> signed agreements to this effect). It would almost certainly take a
> policy decision by the technical committee if we wanted to start
> requiring all authors of new changes to add/update copyright
> statements accurately on every file they touch, and there is quite
> probably no chance at all we can precisely nail down historical
> copyright holder data for previous changes already merged.

It doesn't have to be on every files. It is fine if we have a single
file per project, IMO, and if the contributor doesn't change it, then
the copyright holder continues to be the OpenStack foundation.

What maters to me here, is that I don't have to double-guess, because if
I do, FTP masters will ask "where does this come from?".

>> The licensing has nothing to do with copyright holders. These are 2
>> different topics, please don't mix them in. :)
> [...]
>
> OH! But you couldn't be more wrong. Licensing has everything to do
> with copyright holders in this case, because what we're applying is
> a *copyright license*. ;)

Right, though the licensing is well known. It's the copyright holders
which is very fuzzy and need to be clarified...

Thomas