I'm not sure it's a good moment for this but I would like to re-open the topic
a little bit.

Just a small idea: is it OK if we use a file, or a database as a central point
to store the policies
and their associated aggregates? The Scheduler reads it first, then calls the
scheduler drivers
listed in the policy file for the associated aggregates. In this case we can
get the list of
filters and targeted aggregates before actually running the filters. Thus we
avoid the loop
filter -> aggregate -> policy -> filter ->.

Moreover, admin does not need to populate the flavors' extra_specs or associate
them with the
aggregates, effectively avoiding defining two different policies in 2 flavors
whose VMs are
eventually hosted in a same aggregate.

The downside of this method is that it is not API-accessible: at the current
state we do not have
a policy management system. I would like a policy management system with REST
API, but still, it
is not worse than using nova config.

Best regards,

Toan

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Wed Aug 21 17:25:30 UTC 2013
Just to update those who are interested in this feature but were not able
to follow the recent commits, we made good progress converging towards a
simplified design, based on combination of aggregates and flavors (both of
which are API-drvien), addressing some of the concerns expressed in this
thread (at least to certain extent).
The current design and possible usage scenario has been updated at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/MultipleSchedulerPolicies
Comments are welcome (as well as code reviews at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/37407/).

Thanks,
Alex