From: Ravi Chunduru [mailto:ravi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:41 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] How to get VXLAN Endpoint IP without agent

I guess the intention is to make VXLAN work with out quantum agent. It means
you are using an external openflow controller to manage OVS switches.

In such a case, there is a need to specifically get the compute node IP from
the VM data interface network( and not the management or openstack network
interface IP)

I think of two solutions
1) There must be a onboarding process for each compute node that can indicate
your controller of the compute's local_ip
2) Make sure OVS uses VM data interface network to connect to the controller.

I don't prefer 2, as OVS mgmt traffic should not be on VM data network.

For solution#1, its a pain to load compute local IP onto openflow controller
but it can be automated using puppet etc.,

(I have verified nova database for compute - but it stores management network
interface IP but not from data network- Makes sense as endpoints are on
management network)

Alternately, we can propose a blueprint to include an option in nova.conf on
compute for local_ip as there is a need for consumption using VXLAN based
overlay networks.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
-Ravi.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:45 AM, B Veera-B37207