On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Sean Dague <s...@dague.net> wrote:

> Dave Kranz has been building a system so that we can ensure that during a
> Tempest run services don't spew ERRORs in the logs. Eventually, we're going
> to gate on this, because there is nothing that Tempest does to the system
> that should cause any OpenStack service to ERROR or stack trace (Errors
> should actually be exceptional events that something is wrong with the
> system, not regular events).

So I have to disagree with the approach being taken here.  Particularly in
the case of Cinder and the negative tests that are in place.  When I read
this last week I assumed you actually meant that "Exceptions" were
exceptional and nothing in Tempest should cause Exceptions.  It turns out
you apparently did mean Errors.  I completely disagree here, Errors happen,
some are recovered, some are expected by the tests etc.  Having a policy
and especially a gate that says NO ERROR MESSAGE in logs makes absolutely
no sense to me.

Something like NO TRACE/EXCEPTION MESSAGE in logs I can agree with, but
this makes no sense to me.  By the way, here's a perfect example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1243485

As long as we have Tempest tests that do things like "show non-existent
volume" you're going to get an Error message and I think that you should
quite frankly.