On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Mark McLoughlin <mar...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-10-27 at 21:50 -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
> > Hey all!
> >
> > We're adding a little bit of code to pbr to make the auto-generated
> > ChangeLog files a bit more useful. Currently, they are just the git
> > changelog, which is kinda useless. So we wrote this:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/52367/
> >
> > which produces output like this:
> >
> > http://paste.openstack.org/show/49999  # on a tag
> > and
> > http://paste.openstack.org/show/50001  # not on a tag
> >
> > It underscores the need for commit subjects to communicate something,
> > which is a good thing.
> >
> > With that there, it makes changes like:
> > * Updated from global requirements
> > and
> > * Update my mailmap
> >
> > Kinda lame in the changelog. So we were thinking - what if we recognized
> > one or more subject tags to skip things going into the ChangeLog file.
> > My first thought was:
> >
> > NIT:  # use this for tiny commits that are not really worth changelogging
> >
> > and
> >
> > AUTO: # use for commits generated by our machines, such as the global
> > requirements sync or the Translations sync.
> >
> > What do people think? Should we bother? Are those good? Would something
> > else be better? It's sort of an opt-in feature, so adding it SHOULDN'T
> > bork too many people.
>
> So long as it isn't so SHOUTY it could work out nicely :)

+1, I like the approach to nit / auto so long as it isn't strict. For
example,

  ''.join(c for c in summary.split()[0] if c.isalnum()).upper() in (NIT,
AUTO)

would support "NIT:", "(nit) ...", "Nit- ...", etc.

I'd also be happy with a footer, since a lot of nit / auto commits don't
have bugs / bp's to reference... but I don't know what that would look like
as a footer?

> Getting these ChangeLogs published is goodness - the more the more
> people see their one-line message around the place, the more people
> they'll make an effort to write a decent one.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark.

-Dolph