On 11/07/2013 06:42 PM, Simon Pasquier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The OS::Neutron::FloatingIP resource works in the same manner as the
> 'neutron floating-create' command so currently there is no way to
> avoid passing the floating network id. The AWS::EC2::EIP resource
> doesn't require it because it uses the Nova API to allocate floating
> IPs. In turn, Nova API knowns the floating network with the
> default_floating_pool parameter defined in your nova.conf file.
>
> I guess what you are looking for is a OS::Nova::FloatingIP resource.
> As a workaround, you could leverage environments [1] and map to the
> EC2 EIP resource:
>
> resource_registry:
>   "OS::Nova::FloatingIP": "AWS::EC2::EIP"
>
> Simon
>
> [1]
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/environment.html

I had assumed that nova-networking was sufficiently deprecated that it
is not worth writing native heat resources for things like floating-ip.
I certainly won't be working on them but I currently have no problem
with some blueprints being raised and these resources being contributed.

> Le 07/11/2013 09:33, Nilakhya a écrit :
>> Currently my heat template works with AWS resource type:
>>
>>    DatabaseIPAddress:
>>      Type: AWS::EC2::EIP
>>    DatabaseIPAssoc :
>>      Type: AWS::EC2::EIPAssociation
>>      Properties:
>>        InstanceId: {Ref: BaseInstance}
>>        EIP: {Ref: MyIPAddress}
>>
>> Now if i want to change to OpenStack ( OS ) namespace with a similar
>> implementation :
>>
>>    MyIPAddress:
>>      Type: OS::Neutron::FloatingIP
>> Properties:
>> floating_network_id : String
>>    MyIPAssoc :
>>      Type: OS::Neutron::FloatingIPAssociation
>>      Properties:
>>        floatingip_id : {Ref: MyIPAddress}
>>
>> I cannot problem is,
>>
>> a) floating_network_id ( is not known ) which is a required property.
>> b) Even if its available / defaults to, its an overhead from AWS
>> simplicity.

As an aside, you only need to use OS::Neutron::FloatingIPAssociation if
the floating IP reference is passed in as a template parameter. If it is
all in a self-contained template, just do the association with
OS::Neutron::FloatingIP.